Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Wedding

It has been a week since my daughter's wedding. It was at least a year of planning and it seemed like it was over in an instant.  I waited all my life to walk her down the aisle, and I was truly blessed to have the chance.  The wedding wasn't what I knew as a traditional
ceremony, but it was so beautiful and extravagant right down to the last detail.  I can honestly say my daughter has learned her trade very well. All the years she has worked in the wedding business has paid off. Her wedding was something out of a hollywood movie. She had everything scripted right down to the last hors d' ouevers.
The weather on the day of the wedding was beautiful. You couldn't ask for a better day. Blue skies and sunshine, low humidity and the temperature in the low seventys.
That morning I didn't have much to do, I spent the day doing small errands for my wife.
I went into the Village for lunch with my future son-in-law and my son.  When we returned, I went and sat down in the gazebo by the water fountain and small pond. It was
cool and relaxing. I took a nice nap. I spent most of my time there reminiscing about Christa and the things we did when she was young. I wouldn't say we had a "Father knows Best" relationship, but there were plenty of times when she came for my advice and of course I gave it.  Sometimes she listened and took the advice, other times she didn't. I don't ever remember telling her I told you so.
     Soon it was time to get ready and I was allowed to go into her room to see her.  I was in awe. She was beautiful. Her life from the time she was born to that very moment flashed before my eyes.  The first time I held her, I knew if I never had a dollar I would still be a rich man.  After taking some pictures it was time to walk down the aisle. I would like to tell you what I was thinking but my mind was blank. The time I had been waiting for was upon me and I was dumbfounded.  A lot of emotion started building inside of me, I thought I was going to cry. When we reached the minister and Charlie, I looked up and noticed Charlie had tears in his eyes. I knew then I couldn't start crying.
I looked at Christa and saw the gleam in her eyes. When the minister said "Who gives this woman" I didn't choke. I said I do.  I kissed her on the cheek and shook Charlie's hand, I think I said take care of her she is yours now. I turned and walked to my seat next to my wife and proceeded to watch the ceremony.  Christa and Charlie looked so happy, and they look like the perfect couple.  I know her heart belongs to someone else now but she will always be part of mine and I will always feel like a rich man when she is around.

No comments:

Post a Comment